SBU unveils new logo, names Pitts AD

1666 views 0 replies
Reply to Topic
Alyssa

Total Posts: 16

Topic on May 13, 2010 10:00 AM
Mike Pitts, who has been serving as the interim co-director of athletics the past year, has been named the new director of athletics, effective immediately. Pitts, a 1985 SBU graduate, returned to SBU as its sports information director in 2006. He was promoted to assistant director of athletics for operations in 2008 and again to interim co-director of athletics in 2009.

“I am grateful to serve SBU in this capacity,” Pitts said. “I’d like to thank Dr. Taylor and the SBU Board of Trustees for the opportunity to work with our great coaches, to give our student-athletes a great atmosphere to develop athletically, academically, relationally and spiritually.”

“I am really pleased that Mike is our new director of athletics,” said Dr. C. Pat Taylor, SBU president. “He has served for almost four years in different capacities with athletics. He has provided good leadership over that time and will continue to do so.

“Mike has a tremendous love for Bearcat athletics and is an outstanding people person. He’s a good communicator with coaches and student-athletes as well as the general public. His finance background, especially in these challenging economic times, will be an integral part in athletics management.”

Pitts worked as a trading floor manager for the Kansas City Board of Trade from 1985 to 1994 and a pastor for the Princeton (New Jersey) Bible Church from 1994 to 2006. He now serves as pastor for “Wednesday Night at the Esquire,” a ministry of the Bolivar First Baptist Church.

Sports
Share | Print | E-mail | Comment | Rate | Text Size
SBU unveils new logo, names Pitts AD
By Bill Breshears
billb@bolivarmonews.com
Published:
Wednesday, May 12, 2010 5:05 AM CDT
Southwest Baptist University named a new director of athletes and unveiled a new Bearcat logo Tuesday.

Pitts new AD

Click image to enlarge
Mike Pitts, who has been serving as the interim co-director of athletics the past year, has been named the new director of athletics, effective immediately. Pitts, a 1985 SBU graduate, returned to SBU as its sports information director in 2006. He was promoted to assistant director of athletics for operations in 2008 and again to interim co-director of athletics in 2009.

“I am grateful to serve SBU in this capacity,” Pitts said. “I’d like to thank Dr. Taylor and the SBU Board of Trustees for the opportunity to work with our great coaches, to give our student-athletes a great atmosphere to develop athletically, academically, relationally and spiritually.”

“I am really pleased that Mike is our new director of athletics,” said Dr. C. Pat Taylor, SBU president. “He has served for almost four years in different capacities with athletics. He has provided good leadership over that time and will continue to do so.

“Mike has a tremendous love for Bearcat athletics and is an outstanding people person. He’s a good communicator with coaches and student-athletes as well as the general public. His finance background, especially in these challenging economic times, will be an integral part in athletics management.”

Pitts worked as a trading floor manager for the Kansas City Board of Trade from 1985 to 1994 and a pastor for the Princeton (New Jersey) Bible Church from 1994 to 2006. He now serves as pastor for “Wednesday Night at the Esquire,” a ministry of the Bolivar First Baptist Church.

New logo

The new SBU Bearcat logo borrows some elements from the previous logo, which has been used at SBU for the past 30 years. The traditional Bearcat now includes SBU and has a cross incorporated into the U.

“The development of the new logo is good for athletics and the entire university,” Taylor said.

Reply to Topic